- Please do not take iron supplements for 1 week prior to test.
- Please do not take narcotics for 3 days prior to the test.
- Please report to the doctor any history or difficulty swallowing, bowel obstruction or radiation
to the abdomen.
- Please tell the doctor if you have diabetes, a pacemaker or history of slow emptying of the
The Day before the Examination
- Please start a clear liquid diet after 3PM.
- Please do not eat red or orange Jell-O.
- Please drink one bottle of Magnesium Citrate (it can be purchased over the counter) at 6PM
the evening prior to your exam.
- Please do not have anything to drink after midnight; please discuss timing of your
medications with your doctor.
The Day of the Examination
- Please wear 3 piece, loose fitting clothing.
- Please do not eat or drink anything prior to swallowing the capsule; please remember to
discuss timing of medications with your doctor.
- You will be in the office for approximately ½ hour at the start of the test, please return later in
the day to return the data recorder.
- Please avoid strenuous activity and do not bend or stoop. You may walk, sit, or lay down.
- Please do not eat or drink for at least 2 hours after swallowing of the capsule.
- Two (2) hours after swallowing the capsule you may have clear liquids, but NOT COFFEE,
TEA, MILK, or JELL-O.
- Four (4) hours after swallowing the capsule you may have a light snack and medication.
- The test will last up to 8 hours. PLEASE DO NOT disconnect any equipment or remove the
belt. You may loosen the belt for bathroom needs.
- You may see the capsule pass in the stool sometime later.
- Please do not schedule an MRI exam until passage of the capsule has been confirmed.